Memorial School values the individual learner while fostering respect and cooperation within a safe and diverse environment. We encourage a collaborative partnership with staff, students, parents and community to support our students in their personal, academic and social growth.
A Core Value is a central belief deeply understood and shared by every member of the organization. Core values guide the action of everyone in the organization; they focus its energy and are the anchor point for all its plans. It is the goal of Memorial Elementary School to make sure that:All students will demonstrate good Social Skills by:
All students will strive to become Active Learners by:
- Being courteous and respectful of the rights and property of others;
- Being responsible for one’s own actions and behaviors;
- Accepting and valuing differences.
All students will develop Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence by:
- Mastering learning skills and basic subject matter;
- Being challenged to strive for personal and academic excellence;
- Understanding that learning requires commitment and effort;
- Being capable of critical thinking and problem solving;
- Demonstrating an interest in learning.
All students will see themselves as productive Family and Community Members by:
- Exhibiting a healthy self-image;
- Cultivating good friendship skills;
- Learning basic decision-making skills;
- Thinking and acting independently despite peer influences;
- Taking risks.
- Understanding responsibility at home, in school and within the community;
- Acting respectfully and responsibly toward their environment;
- Taking pride in their role as a family member and student;
- Showing compassion and kindness towards others.
Philosophy of Education
Memorial School of Milford provides a comprehensive educational program for the children of the community in preparing them for participation in a democratic society. In a variety of ways, our school offers the children the opportunity to develop self-confidence, self-esteem, respect for others and the ability to make value judgments about their own and others’ actions.Memorial’s curriculum is the means for implementing this philosophy. The subject matter and learning environment challenges the children to the fullest extent of their abilities while accommodating their individual needs. The basic curriculum provides a flexible approach to education.Our school program, developmental in nature, is consistent with sound learning principles that recognize individual patterns of growth, as it provides for intellectual, social, emotional and physical differences. The entire staff fosters a supportive and nurturing atmosphere where the belief is held that all children can learn.In keeping with this philosophy of education, Memorial provides programs to establish proficiency in the basic skills of reading, writing, mathematics, listening and speaking. In addition, programs are provided in science, social studies, art, music, physical and health education, computer literacy and instructional media.We believe that education is a life-long process. We realize that the school is not the only influence contributing to this process. It lies neither within our ability, nor our desire, to substitute for or supplant the guidance and love of the child’s family. A commonality of purpose and sense of cohesiveness exists among school personnel, parents and the community-at-large. Our school, however, assumes primary responsibility for the development of basic skills, concepts and attitudes necessary for decision-making individuals in a constantly changing society.We recognize the worth and dignity of all individuals. Each student is different from every other student in important ways. It is our obligation to help prepare all students for satisfying and meaningful lives, by providing guidance and learning experiences appropriate to their needs, interests and abilities. The curriculum, organization and atmosphere at Memorial School should help each student develop an awareness of their worth as human beings and a willingness to be responsible for their decisions and actions.