General Registration Information (CURRENT K-12)


    Enrollment in the Milford Public School District requires residency within the town of Milford. Pre-Registration begins with an application and must be completed only by those parents/guardians who meet the residency requirements. 

    To register children for grades 1 through 12, please complete this registration packet (translations included) and return the form to the Family Resource Center during regular business hours.

    • School Year (September - June): Monday through Friday, 8 am to 3 pm
    • July: Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 3 pm & Fridays by appointment only
    • August: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 3 pm

    Requirements for Enrollment:

    • You must be a full-time resident of Milford (or have received a School Choice approval letter from the Superintendent's Office) in order to attend the Milford Public Schools.
    • If you are in the process of moving to Milford, you may begin the pre-registration process. However, registration cannot be completed and your child may not begin school until you are residing in Milford.
    • It is helpful to make an appointment with the Family Resource Center.  At your appointment, please bring all the required paperwork listed in the registration packet and a valid photo ID.


    Frequently Asked Enrollment Questions:


    1. What is Pre-Registration? The entire process is pre-registration. Until a student has met residency and health requirements, s/he will be considered to be in the process of pre-registration.
    2. How is residency defined? In order to attend school in the District, a student must actually reside in the Town of Milford. A student’s primary residence is the place where s/he dwells permanently, not temporarily, and is the place that is the center of his or her domestic, social, and civic life. The primary residence of a minor child is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have physical custody of the child.
    3. How does the District verify residency? Families registering, or submitting a change of address, must demonstrate Milford residency by submitting authorized documents. In order to verify residency, the District reserves the right to request additional documents, if needed. Because residency can change for students and their families during the school year, the District may verify residency at any time.
    4. Why must I bring a photo ID? A photo ID is required for all registration, change of address, or transfer applications as proof that the person making the application matches documentation for parent/guardian status and is also the person whose name is associated with the residency proofs.
      Acceptable photo IDs include:
      • A Driver’s License
      • Massachusetts ID card
      • Valid government-issued photo identification (i.e passport, military, etc).
    5. What if I don’t have the required proofs of residency with me when I register? All new applicants are required to submit the required proofs of residency. Applicants who do not have the required documents will be asked to return to the FRC with the appropriate materials in order to complete the registration process. 
    6. What if I have recently moved and do not yet have documents I can use? To fulfill the requirements, you may also submit a work order or “statement of service” letter from any utility company stating that your service has been ordered or installed at the Milford address.
    7. What if I am over 18 and no longer live with my parents? Any person eighteen (18) years of age or older may establish a residence separate and apart from his or her parents or guardians for school attendance purposes. However, you will still be required to submit the proofs of residency bearing your name and address.
    8. What if my family does not have a permanent residence? Families covered under the McKinney-Vento Act should contact the FRC for assistance. If you are staying in a shelter, please bring documentation from the agency letterhead indicating that you are living there.
    9. Can my foster child remain in the school he or she is currently attending although residing in Milford? Students in foster care can remain in their original school, even if they change foster homes or move to another district. If a student in foster care must change schools, their records will be transferred in order to enroll them immediately. The social worker from the Department of Child and Families will contact the Foster Care liaisons at each school to set up a Best Interest meeting to discuss school placement. 
    10. As a Military Family, what documents must I be able to provide the school in order to transfer from a different state? Official military orders showing that the military member was assigned to the state (or commuting area) of the state in which the child was previously duly enrolled and attended school. If a military child was residing with a legal guardian and not the military member during the previous enrollment they will have a copy of the family care plan, or proof of guardianship, as specified under the Interstate Compact, or any information sufficient for the receiving district to establish eligibility under the Compact;  Evidence of date of birth; An official letter or a transcript, official or unofficial, from the proper school authority which shows record of attendance, academic information, and grade placement of the student; Documented evidence of immunization against communicable disease. Your child’s current school will provide the new school with official records within 10 days of enrollment and official immunization records must be submitted to the new school within 30 days of enrollment. 
    11. Is residency fraud a violation of Massachusetts state law? Yes, residency fraud is a violation of Massachusetts state law and is subject to per diem fines for every day that a student attends school outside the district s/he legally resides.
    12. Will documents that I submit to prove residency remain confidential? All documents submitted to prove residency will be considered part of the student’s confidential record. The District will adhere to the standards of confidentiality set forth in state and federal laws in maintenance of these records.
    13. My family is moving to Milford from outside the United States. Is there anything special I must do? Any family that meets the District’s residency requirements may be asked to provide notarized translations of any documents at the time of their pre-registration meeting. These documents include birth certificates, custody documents, immunization records, and school records/transcripts.
    14. My child already completed Kindergarten in a different school system, but will not be six years old by August 31. May I apply for a Grade 1 assignment? The Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education requires each child to attend school beginning in September of the calendar year in which he/she attains the age of six (6), but allows each school committee to establish its own minimum permissible age for school attendance, provided that such age is not older than the state mandatory minimum age. It is the policy of the District to:
      • Admit a child into kindergarten if he/she is five (5) years of age on or before August 31 of the school year in which s/he enrolls.
      • Admit a child into first grade if he/she is six (6) years of age on or before August 31 of the school year in which he/she enrolls.
    15. We moved to another address in Milford after registering, what should we do? If you change addresses, please complete the Student Address Change Packet and return it to the FRC with all required documents. You will need to bring new proofs of residency and a photo ID finalize this change. If your new address is in a different school zone (Memorial or Brookside), you may need to attend your new neighborhood K-2 school.
    16. My child was enrolled in Milford, but withdrew to attend a semester/year at another school. How do I re-instate their enrollment? You must complete the pre-registration process.
    17. How is grade placement determined?  Students registering for:
      • Grades 1-8 are required to bring copies of their most recent report card or transcripts as proof of their completed grades.  Date of birth is also considered.
      • Grade 9-12 are required to bring copies of their 9th-12th grade report card or transcripts, as applicable to their current grade level and placement is determined at the school based on credits earned.
    18. After completing the pre-registration steps within the Registration Packet, where does the pre-registration appointment take place? 
      Family Resource Center 
      189 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Milford, MA 01757


    Additional Documents to bring to your Pre-Registration meeting:

    • Student's Birth Certificate or Passport
    • Proof of Milford Residency (see above)
    • Student's Health Documents/Immunizations Records
    • As applicable, please provide:

      • IEP, 504, and/or Individual Health Care Plan
      • English learner ACCESS for ELLs State Assessment scores
      • Legal documents (notarized translation into English)


    Annual Updates

    Student Contact and Medical Verification are conducted annually by the District. You will receive a notice from the school at the beginning of each school year requesting updates to your student's information.  Updates may be made during the school year by contacting your student's school or the FRC.  

    updated 2/24/23